Holiday Pet Dangers

The holidays are a time filled with family traditions, dazzling decorations and festive twinkling lights…but sometimes these new additions to your home can create hazardous conditions for your pets. With just a few simple steps, you can ensure a safe and happy holiday for you and your pet this season.

Schedule your pet’s health check-up

“Oh Christmas Tree…”

From the tree farm, right into your living room…the Christmas tree is a central feature of your home each holiday season. The moment you bring a tree into your home, your pet will surely be curious about this new, chewable addition. If your pet chooses to chew on its needles and branches, it can cause drooling and vomiting. In extreme cases, tree needles can actually puncture the intestinal lining of your pet.

This holiday, it’s best to keep an eye on your pet pals anytime they are near the Christmas tree. Keep them away from the water bowl and any attempts at chewing on this new novelty of your living room.

Holiday Plants

While most people consider poinsettias as the most dangerous plant of the holiday season, they are actually considered to be “low in toxicity,” and may only cause irritation to the mouth and stomach. However, these are some holiday plants that can cause problems:

  • Holly
  • Ivy
  • Juniper
  • Lily
  • Mistletoe
  • Amaryllis
  • Azaleas
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Evergreens

If you decide to decorate your home with these festive touches, try to keep them out of reach of your pet. A few inquisitive nibbles could cause more than a few tummy troubles for your pet.

All That Glitters

If you have a cat that is drawn to things that sparkle, you may want to avoid decorating your home with these festive touches. Cats love shiny objects, and they will sometimes eat ribbons, ornaments or tinsel at this time of year. If ingested, these decorations can wrap around the base of their tongue, or become caught in their intestines, causing a blockage.

Lights and Wires

Another chewable item on your pet’s list is often the Christmas tree lights and wires. These chords, when chewed, can cause dangerous electrical shocks and burns. If you sense your pet is attempting to gnaw on these dangers, take steps to purchase electrical cord covers or cord organizers to make them less accessible.

Batteries and Plastic Toys

Often, plastic toys come with the need for batteries, and both items pose dangers to your pet when chewed. Plastic toys can cause your pet’s teeth to chip or break. Batteries contain zinc, which can cause pancreatitis, renal and liver failure if ingested. And these items aren’t found together in just toys. Plastic and batteries are found in everything from watches to greeting cards…so keep your eye on the gifts under the tree this season so your pet doesn’t mistake them for his new toy!

If you suspect your pet has ingested any foreign objects this holiday season, don’t hesitate to call our office immediately at 864.576.9800.

Contact Animal Clinic of Woodruff

Another great way to keep your pet healthy and well this holiday season is to keep stay up to date with their regular visits and vaccines. To get an update on your pet’s check-ups, or to become a new patient, give us a call at 864.576.9800.

Posted in Pet Behavior

Error Message

×